As opposed to other versions, I find this one fascinating. Mostly because the questions are about favorite Christmas traditions. It seems everyone I know is fiercely dedicated to their own traditions and I love that about my friends.
My own family is passionate about our Christmas celebrations. I think everyone should be. The questions seem simple, but the answers feel way more complex for various reasons. I love this stuff.
With all that in mind, here are the questions and my answers:
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Not just any Egg Nog. CUBAN Egg Nog. We call it Creme de Vie. It’s the Bacardi preservative that gives it the kick.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or put them under the tree unwrapped?
So much heated controversy over this one! Santa gifts are definitely unwrapped. He leaves each person a pile with their FILLED STOCKING on top.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Both! Love colored lights!!
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No. We have a Cuban household, we kiss everyone when we greet them.
5. When do you put your decorations up?
We start decorating the inside of our home the beginning of December. We put up our tree and house lights around the 15th.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Lechon Asado! (Roast Pork)
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child.
Waking up early on Christmas eve to decorate the tree with the smell of pork roasting all day.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I think I was about 9. My oldest sister had had a baby that year and I was enlisted to help shop for Santa gifts for her. Quite shocking.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
My (big, fat, Cuban) family celebrates Noche Buena, which is Christmas Eve. We open presents from each other.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
Jewel toned balls and gold ribbon – lots of color. Very rich and ornate. The kids have beautiful mini trees in their rooms for their own ornaments.
11. Snow. Love it or dread it?
I wish I had an opinion about snow. Southern California. Snow is not even on our radar.
12. Can you ice skate?
Yes. I took lessons.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Yes. 1963: Skipper (Barbie’s little sister – I still have her), and a Mystery Date Game.
14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you?
Making memories with my family – everything is "an event."
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
The Preparation.Stuffing stockings, setting an elaborate table, decorating the mini trees.
17. What tops your tree?
A golden angel.
18. Which do you prefer – giving or receiving?
19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
Arbolito de Navidad.
20. What is your favorite Christmas movie?
It’s a Wonderful Life. (click on this link for 30 seconds of Christmas silliness)