I'm 59 today.
There's so much I want to tell you about how this feels. And because this is all about me, here are My 59 Wonderful Truths:
1. I feel the same inside as I did when I was 17. (Nobody tells you this.)
2. I still have moments of insecurity about: my hair, my hips, my gut (pick a feature). I just don't care enough to let it paralyze me.
3. I don't have to get the last word in anymore. (I like to. But I don't have to.)
4. I don't love how my body looks at 59, but I'm still amazed by all it does for me.
5. I have a tremendous capacity for love. (Much more so than when I was 20, or 30, or even 40.)
6. A good belly laugh is worth as much as a spa day.
7. Regarding make-up, less is more at my age. (That's so freeing.)
8. Tending to my garden and my soul is much more important these days.
9. I can't begin my day well unless I talk to God about it first.
10. Forgiving completely is the most important thing I've ever learned to do.
11. I don't know everything. But I do know a lot.
12. I still love learning new things. Every day.
13. Routines are precious to me.
14. I laugh at myself much easier than I ever did when I was younger.
15. Food must taste delicious or why bother? Seriously.
16. I value my time alone much more than I ever have.
17. I love a book that makes me cry.
18. I have not outgrown my nerdiness.
19. I'm no longer self-conscious about how round my face is. It just is.
20. I know what I'm worth now.
21. I care less about what people think.
22. Some days I don't want to interact with people at all, and that's okay.
23. I'm much more of an introvert than I ever knew.
24. I am finally comfortable in my own skin.
25. I feel things deeply.
26. I don't mind the wrinkles around my eyes as much as I thought I would.
27. I'm deeply grateful every day.
28. I've finally found my voice.
29. I am wise.
30. I am strong.
31. I'm happy to share my wisdom and my strength.
32. Anti-aging really means death.
33. I have no problem with re-invention. (Or maybe it's re-discovery?)
34. I know I have authority.
35. My internal editor just doesn't show up for work anymore.
36. I have the most wonderful friends.
37. I know that I am loved.
38. I married well.
39. I refuse to quiet down or fade away as I get older.
40. I am finally embracing my curly hair. It's symbolic of so much more.
41. I feel things much more deeply than I ever did.
42. Pushing myself is not very kind. I finally stopped.
43. I am much more conscious of beauty.
44. Gratitude takes practice.
45. My happiness doesn't depend on anything I own or anything I've accomplished.
46. I can be a pain in the butt sometimes.
47. I am a big fan of making mistakes. It shows I'm still trying.
48. I don't live in the past or in the future. God is in today.
49. I am okay with asking for help.
50. It's important to me to tell the truth.
51. Saying no is easier.
52. I'm still very curious about many things. I am a learner.
53. Life experience is worth a lot.
54. I am much more fragile than I let on.
55. I have a large capacity for pain.
56. I have a large capacity for courage.
57. Breathing deeply does help.
58. Telling stories is my secret weapon.
59. 59 is not the new 39. 59 is wonderful on its own.
I'm celebrating my 59th birthday today surrounded by good friends and good food and my beautiful family. I am richer than all the dreams of avarice.
Happy Birthday to me.