On the Food Network of My Mind
I have a confession to make.
I sometimes fantasize about having a cooking show.
Not all the time, of course. But I do have moments. To be honest, most of the time I’m just trying to get a meal on the table and dodging bodies in my small kitchen and wishing I had a staff to clean up after me. (sigh)
But every now and then, I think….this is what I would say at this step in the recipe, and I’d make a little joke here. Sometimes, I make the irreversible mistake of mentioning this to my family - out loud.
You’re not going to believe this, but they think I’m a little crazy. (Shut up. I know.)
So in my Fantasy Food Network show I’m doing something really dramatic. Like I’m making a dessert that involves setting something on fire! I’ve always wanted to flambé some bananas….hmm….
Bananas. Caramel. Rum. A trifecta of Cuban dessert perfection.
How about Caramelized Bananas Flambé? Or something like that…
Here is Marta on her fantasy cooking show:
"Butter and brown sugar will make a nice, rich caramel for the bananas."
So I kind of get into it, and begin making my caramel-banana thing and talking to my imaginary studio audience...
"Now, let's set it on FIRE!" (Wow! What drama! Flash the applause sign here.)
“Estas completamente loca.” That’s what my big, fat, Cuban family says.
Until they taste it, of course, and start making the hmmf-mmmm-oooh-God-this-is-amazing sounds.
That’s when I decide to call this segment, “Marta’s Bananas.”
See? It works on two levels.
Marta’s Rum Bananas Recipe
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 bananas – cut into diagonal slices
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- Vanilla ice cream – optional
- Pound cake – optional
1) In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium high heat.
2) Add the dark brown sugar to the butter and stir together (use a wooden spoon).
3) Add the sliced bananas, stirring to coat and until they are caramelized on both sides.
4) Remove from heat.
5) Add the rum.
6) Using a long lighter (just trust me on this) light the bananas and flambé.
7) Shake the pan to coat bananas until flame dies out and the alcohol cooks out.
8) Serve over a slice of pound cake and vanilla ice cream.
And just for the record, the most compelling part of the fantasy cooking show thing is having a Clean-up STAFF, but that's not important right now.