The definition of the word manifesto from Dictionary.com:
noun, plural man·i·fes·toes.
a public declaration of intentions, opinions, objectives, or motives, as one issued by a government, sovereign, or organization.
Last year, one of my heroes, Ali Edwards turned the Summer Manifesto into a scrapbooking project (which I love). This bit about writing down intentions is totally how I work.
Here's my Summer Manifesto 2013:
- Attend the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach.
- Shop at local Farmer's Markets as often as possible.
- Make S'mores (Cuban style!) over an outdoor fire.
- Take a Lake Cruise.
- Visit the Orange County Fair (and eat decadent food, but that goes without saying).
- Go to a Dodger Game. (Usually this would say Angel game because I love live baseball on summer nights and I think it's cool that we all get to wear RED, but hello! Yasiel Puig and Dodger Dogs!)
- Build a Farmhouse Table and have lots of meals outdoors. (Check!)
- Enjoy lots of Outdoor Movie Nights.
- Build a Sandcastle. (Not just a flip-your-plastic-bucket-over Sandcastle, but a serious all-day one. This requires a trip to Del Mar. Yes, please. Oh, wait! Did I forget to add "Go to the Del Mar Horse Races?" Consider it added.)
- Make ice cream. (I tend to forget that I have an ice-cream maker stashed away in my cupboard. And I'll be really mad at myself if I don't make my famous Homemade Dulce de Leche Ice Cream.)
- Take the train to San Diego. (The train station is just blocks from Little Italy and our favorite Italian restaurant, Filippi's Pizza Grotto, so technically this should really read: Take the train to San Diego and go to Little Italy.)
- Take the LA Bus Tour. (Lucy will be in Los Angeles taking an Improv class for 5 weeks and my friend, Jana and I decided we would visit her while she's staying up there and do the whole touristy-tour of movie star homes and point a lot and say things like, "there's the Hollywood sign!" and all that.)
And I know I've forgotten things, but we'll continue to add over the summer as we come up with different ideas. And, trust me, I've always got ideas.
Maybe this fall I'll also do a "Best Cuban Places to Eat in Los Angeles" tour. *starts doing research and making notes*